- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thick matchsticks
- 1 pound daikon radishes, each no larger than 2 inches in diameter, peeled and cut into thick matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cups distilled white vinegar
- Place carrot and daikon in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and 2 teaspoons sugar. Knead vegetables for about 3 minutes, expelling water from them (this will keep them crisp). Stop kneading when vegetables have lost about 1/4 of their volume. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water, then press gently to expel extra water. Return vegetables to bowl, or transfer to a glass container for longer storage.
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, the vinegar and 1 cup lukewarm water, and stir to dissolve sugar. Pour over vegetables. Let marinate at least 1 hour before eating, or refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.